Lovevery is a mission-driven company, passionate about helping every parent feel confident that they are giving their child the best experiences in early childhood. Our team believes in the power of combining physical play products with digital education and support to create an ecosystem for parents that is unmatched by any other brand. In addition to our robust e-commerce platform, we are also building a digital product that gives parents stage-based activities and content, allows them to engage with experts and a community of parents, and makes it easy for parents to know how to promote their child’s development.
About the role
We are looking for a Data Engineer to help us create a new type of e-commerce, mobile app, and content experience that delivers value to our internal and external stakeholders beyond selling physical products. This role is for you if you are an experienced, self-motivated engineer who will contribute to a high performing team, challenge yourself, and ideate and iterate. You’ll be joining a cross-functional team composed of Data Scientists, BI Engineers, Business Analysts, and fellow Data Engineers working on current and future technology platforms to build a meaningful digital experience that empowers parents and gives them confidence.
If you are a Data Engineer, or Software Engineer with dataset experience, you could be amazing in this role and be part of something special.
- An Intrinsic Humble Hustle - You are a scrappy, go-getter. You don’t wait for things to happen. You make them happen.
- Production Experience - You know production development processes and code are not the same as getting it to work on your machine.
- Close the Loop – Your production experience has taught you to carry an idea from inception to full problem-solving, solution delivery. Whether it be a bugfix or a feature, you take that idea and run with it completely.
- Willingness to Learn - You’re aware you don’t know everything, are willing to learn new things and have an idea/methodology to go about learning new things. Multiple comments on your pull request won’t bother you.
- Strong Collaborator - You want the best solution which may or may not be your solution. You’ll be part of a team where strong communication and collaboration will be a key part of your success. You speak up when you see an issue and appreciate it when others do the same.
- Holistic Understanding - You will be working on a solution that extends from data origins, the data model, to end-user reports, and UAT. You’ll deliver user stories and features and non-functional requirements such as scalability, performance, automation, and testability. You’re a developer, but you’re going to hold meetings and conversations with stakeholders.
- Improve and Deliver - You see a need and scheme to improve it. You’re always looking at how the team, system, and yourself can get better. You can be entrusted to fill the gap without hand holding.
Day to Day Responsibilities
- Our stack - Lovevery Data Engineering consists of data pipelines powered by Databricks, Postgres, Redshift, BigQuery, New Relic, Kubernetes, Terraform, Jenkins, Fivetran, dbt, and Looker. You’ll work closely with a lot of these technologies, you may work on sunsetting them, and spinning up others.
- Expect a range of development tasks including developing Kubernetes python applications for data processing, Databricks notebooks and libraries development, writing complex queries/transformations for business stakeholders, and everything in between.
- Work to automate monitoring and testing. You don’t like doing things twice so naturally we’ll be automating a lot of tasks. The business expects high quality, but we want to ensure we’re making forward progress, not system maintenance tasks.
- You will work closely with DevOps and contribute to the infrastructure. New data requests and pipelines may not have the infrastructure set up to accomplish these requests. You will work in Terraform to get the infrastructure set up to be scalable and extensible as we work towards developing the ultimate data platform.
- Interact with a variety of business functions. You will be doing the core data engineering work but will also gain a high understanding of the data and it’s uses. You will contribute insights in finance, marketing, eCommerce, customers, and products. You’ll help guide the business with your expertise in the data and systems. Be prepared for process and system ownership.
- We are obsessed with giving families the best products and content for early childhood, and this is an important role in making that happen at Lovevery. This role will have opportunities for growth in the future.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, Data Science, or a related field.
- You have 3+ years of production Python experience
- Functional and object oriented
- You’ve worked in a team environment on cloud based (AWS, GCP) ELT/ETL.
- You’re well versed in Databricks / Dataproc / Spark / EMR variants.
- Best if you have working knowledge of Delta Lake and can explain mechanisms like time travel and soft cloning
- You’re highly skilled at dataset query language (any variant of relational SQL).
- You’re familiar with data storage platforms such as Delta, BigQuery, and/or Redshift and can design scalable processes on them.
- Experience or aptitude to learn platforms in our stack such as, but not limited to, Fivetran and dbt.
- You have a background working in growth stage eCommerce companies.
- You build infrastructure with Terraform and start your development pipeline with Docker and Kubernetes.
Our Benefits Include
- Competitive salary, benefits, and stock options package
- The usual paid holidays and a few extras (ex. Election day)
- Paid maternity or paternity leave
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- Free/discounted Lovevery products
Lovevery is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in all forms. All employment decisions at Lovevery are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, HIV status, marital status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.